Features of Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408)
This visa allows you to come to Australia on a temporary basis to:
- work in the entertainment industry
- participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation
- participate or observe in an Australian research project
- work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement
- participate in high-level sports competitions or sports training programs
- participate in a special programme approved by the department that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits
- do full-time religious work
- be employed as a superyacht crew member
- do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives
- participate in a government endorsed event.
- have the skills to undertake the activity to be carried out in Australia
- be supported or sponsored
- meet additional requirements of the relevant stream
Length of stay
- If invited by an organisation to participate in a specific event – 3 months
- If participating in Australian government activities – 4 years
- All other activities – 2 years
From AUD 310
Who could get this visa
You might be able to get this visa if you:
- intend to stay in Australia for three months or less and apply from outside Australia, and you have the support of an organisation or individual in Australia who has responsibility for the events or activities being undertaken who passes the support test
- intend to stay in Australia for more than three months and you are sponsored by an approved sponsor for this visa who passes thesponsorship test
- meet the requirements of the activity type in which you are applying for this visa
- have adequate financial support for you and your family while you are in Australia
- have adequate arrangements for health insurance while you are in Australia
- meet health and character requirements
- genuinely intend to remain temporarily in Australia to do the work or activity specified in your application.
Genuine Temporary Entrant
The genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) is an integrity measure to ensure that the temporary visa programme is used as intended and not as a way to maintain ongoing residency in Australia. Temporary residents are generally not able to extend their stay in Australia beyond four years by applying for this visa.
The GTE requirement applies to all temporary activity visa applicants. The officer assessing the visa will consider whether the individual circumstances of the visa applicant indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia.
You must satisfy us that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.
- When assessing the GTE requirement, we will consider:
- your circumstances
- your immigration history
- compliance with visa conditions
- if you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner
- any other relevant matter.
While you are in Australia, you must be able to support yourself and any eligible dependant family members who come with you. You might be asked to provide evidence of funds, such as an employment contract, bank statements or a letter from your financial institution stating your financial position. Allowances, accommodation and other assistance from your employer can also be considered when looking at your ability to support yourself.
English language requirements
Visa applicants for special program should have functional English language (IELTS 4.5 or equivalent) . This is to ensure that participants fully experience the cultural and social benefits of the special programme and to ensure occupational health and safety standards are met.
- If you apply in Australia or you apply outside Australia and you intend to stay for more than 3 months you must provide the following from your sponsor:
- Sponsors Transaction Reference Number or Sponsorship Application ID
- Sponsor approval letter or receipt for lodgement of the sponsorship application.
- A written statement from the sponsor that they will meet the sponsorship obligations for you and all dependent family members included in your application.
Invited participant in an event
Domestic worker (executive)
Australian Government endorsed event
Who is this visa for
- The Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to undertake one of the following activities:
- Entertainer: to work in the entertainment industry in film, television or live productions in either a performance or behind-the-scenes role, such as directing, producing and other production roles.
- Invited participant: for people who are invited for stays up to 3 months by an organisation operating in Australia to participate in a specific cultural or social event or events. For example, conferences, sporting, religious and other community events.
- to participate or observe in an Australian research project after being invited to do so.
- to undertake a research activity at an Australian tertiary or research institution related to your field of study.
- Religious worker: to be a full-time religious worker, serving the religious objectives of a religious institution in Australia.
- Special program: to participate in an approved special program that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits.
- play, coach or instruct or adjudicate under contract to an Australian sporting club or organisation
- participate in a high-level sports training program
- Exchange: to work in a skilled position under a reciprocal staff exchange arrangement to:
- give participants an opportunity to experience another culture
- enhance international relations
- broaden participants’ experience and knowledge.
- Superyacht crew: to be employed as a superyacht crew member on board a superyacht in Australia.
- Domestic worker (executive): to work full time in the household of certain senior foreign executives.
- Australian Government endorsed event: to participate in a government endorsed major event.
- This visa requires sponsorship if:
- your stay in Australia is for more than three months
- you apply in Australia.
There is no nomination required for this visa.
This is a temporary visa. You can be in or outside Australian when you apply for this visa and when the visa is granted.
Applying in Australia
If you apply in Australia you must be sponsored by an approved temporary activities sponsor or sponsor who passes the sponsorship test.
Applying outside Australia
If you apply from outside Australia and you intend to stay in Australia for three months or less, the organisation or individual in Australia who has responsibility for the events/activities you will be involved in must pass the support test.
If you apply from outside Australia and you intend to stay in Australia for more than three months you must be sponsored by an approved temporary activities sponsor or sponsor who passes the sponsorship test.
What you can do
This visa allows you to:
- stay in Australia for the period that aligns with the activities that you have been approved to undertake on this visa. The maximum stay periods allowed are:
- Invited participant activity type – up to three months
- Australian Government endorsed event activity type – up to four years
- Any other activity type – up to two years
- do the work or activity specified in your application
- bring eligible family members with you to Australia
- enter and leave Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid.
Note: For some activity types such as superyacht crew members and special program participants, the stay period is usually no more than 12 months.
Temporary visa holders are generally not able to extend their stay in Australia beyond four years by applying for this visa.