Business Migration to Australia
If you are looking at establishing an office in Australia, purchasing a business in Australia or migrating to Australia as a business owner or investor, it is critical to get the right immigration advice upfront.
Having a sound immigration strategy upfront can streamline matters significantly, and ensure that you meet your goals in starting a business in Australia.
There are a variety of Australian work visas that business people can obtain for themselves or their employees, including:
Temporary Visa categories:
- Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) Subclass 188 Visa
- This is a 4-year provisional visa available to business owners and investors. There are 5 different streams including Business Owner, Investment Linked, Significant Investor, Premium Investor and Entrepreneur.
- Business Innovation & Investment Subclass 188 visas are for investors and business owners who wish to establish business operations in Australia. The visa is valid for 4 years.
There are 5 eligibility streams:
- A. Business Innovation – for business owners seeking to establish business operations in Australia
- B. Investor – for people who are willing to invest $1.5 million in an Australian State or Territory bonds
- C. Significant Investor – for people willing to invest $5 million into complying investments in Australia
- D. Premium Investor – for people with significant funds who are willing to invest at least $15 million into complying premium investments in Australia.
- E. Entrepreneur – for people who have a funding agreement from a third party for at least AUD200 000 to undertake a complying entrepreneur activity
Note that business migration can be extremely complex, and even determining whether you have a good chance of qualifying can be difficult. In addition, you may be able to qualify in a number of different business migration categories.
If you would like us to check your likely eligibility for business migration or if you would like us to assist you with your application, you can book a consultation through our website. We will then provide you with a comprehensive preliminary assessment of your likely eligibility for business migration, and can discuss with you the best way to proceed with your application.
Business Visitor Visas
- If you wish to visit Australia for 3 months or less to attend business meetings or to explore business opportunities, you may be interested in applying for a business visitor visa.
- Business Visitor visas allow applicants to conduct short business trips to Australia.
Duration and Conditions
A Business Visitor visa allows the holder to remain in Australia for up to 3 months at a time to conduct business activities. The business visitor visa cannot be extended whilst in Australia.
The visa has only limited work rights – you can only undertake the following types of “business visitor activities”:
- making general business or employment enquiries
- investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract
- activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit
- participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for your participation.
The visa also allows recreational activities including tourism and non-formal studies for up to three months.
Do I Apply in Australia or Overseas?
There are several ways of applying for a business visitor visa:
- e-Visitor Subclass 651 and ETA Subclass 601 visas are lodged online via the Department of Immigration website.
- Otherwise, you can apply for a subclass 600 visa in the business visitor stream. For certain countries, this can be lodged online. Otherwise, a paper application must be lodged with an Australia Embassy or Consulate
You may be requested to demonstrate the following to be granted a subclass 600 visa in the business visitor stream:
- You have a need to travel to Australia for business purposes
- You possess personal attributes and a business background that are relevant to, and consistent with, the nature of your proposed business in Australia.
- You have sufficient funds to support yourself in Australia
- You have close ties in your home country ensuring you will return after your travel to Australia
For more information on applying for a Short Stay Business Visa or for information on how you can apply for longer stay business visas please book an immigration consultation.
Residence Visa categories:
- Business Talent (Migrant) Visa
- Business Talent (Migrant) visas are granted to people with an overall successful business career as the owner of a business or people with Venture Capital funding in Australia. There is no need to apply for a provisional visa before applying for this permanent visa.
- Business Innovation and Investment (Residence) Subclass 888 Visa
- This is the permanent stage of the Subclass 188 Provisional Business Innovation and Investment. It requires applicants to have established business operations in Australia or to have maintained an investment in bonds.
When it’s Complex, We Make it Happen
Thanks to you and your team for the tremendous service and consultancy you gave us with immigration advice during our office setup in Australia. By completely understanding our needs and legal requirements you made the complex process simple for us.